BackgroundKurt enjoys a broad and international library experience at a number of prominent universities including Stanford University [→], the University of California at Berkeley [→], New York University [→], the Universiteit van Amsterdam [→] and Leiden University [→]. He has gained solid experience with regard to the implementation, improvement and innovation of work processes in research libraries. In a variety of positions Kurt has worked in the area of metadata, collection management, faculty liaison and reference services. His main area of expertise is scholarly communication, digital libraries, e-publishing and e-learning.
Kurt studied Germanic Philology (1984, summa cum laude) at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) [→] and specialized in Comparative Literature and in Library and Information Studies (1990) at the University of California, Berkeley.
- University Librarian, Director Leiden Universty Libraries & Leiden University Press, Leiden University, 2005-present.
- Chief, Division of Electronic Services, University Library, Universiteit van Amsterdam, 1997-2005.
- Electronic Text Coordinator & Head, Electronic Text Center, Elmer Holmes Bobst Library, New York University, 1996-1997.
- Librarian for Western European Literatures and Languages, Elmer Holmes Bobst Library, New York University, 1991-1997.
- Different library functions (collection management, cataloging, reference) at Doe and Moffitt Libraries, University of California at Berkeley & Green Library, Stanford University, 1987-1990.
Current professional activities
- Member, Advisory Board, Universitäts- und Landesbibliothek Bonn, Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn, 2018-present.
- Member, Academic Advisory Council, African Studies Centre Leiden, 2016-present.
- Member, Advisory Board, Universitäts- und Stadtbibliothek Köln, Universität zu Köln, 2015-present.
- Member, Policy Group Information & Open Access, League of European Research Universities (LERU), 2014-present.
- Member, Board of Directors, CLIR - Council on Library and Information Resources, 2013-present.
- Member, Board of Directors, OAPEN Foundation - Open Access Publishing in European Networks, 2011-present.
- Chair, Board of Directors, Foundation Scaliger Institute, 2011-present.
- Chair, Board of Trustees, Chair in the History of the Book in the Early Modern Period endowed by the Tiele Foundation, 2008-present.
- Member, Governing Board, Historical Commission for Leiden University, 2008-present.
- Member, UKB, the Dutch Association of University Libraries and the Royal Library, 2005-present; Member, Executive Committee, 2006-2008.
- Member, Governing Board, Society for Dutch Literature, 2005-present.
Past professional activities
- Member, Steering Committee, Policy Group Information & Open Access, League of European Research Universities (LERU), 2014-2020.
- Member, Academic Advisory Board, IISH - International Institute of Social History, 2014-2020.
- Member, Steering Committee, National Information Infrastructure Consortium, 2011-2019.
- Member, Library Steering Committee, Knowledge Unlatched, 2014-2019.
- Chair, Advisory Board, Delpher, 2014-2018
- Member, Supervisory Board, DEN - Digital Heritage Netherlands, 2009-2017.
- Member, Board of Directors, Foundation Bibliotheek.nl, 2010-2015.
- Member, Standardization Council, EduStandaard, 2012-2014.
- Member, Executive Board & Chair, Steering Committee on Reshaping the European Research Library, LIBER - Association of European Research Libraries, 2012-2014.
- Course Director, Ticer, Digital Libraries à la Carte 2010, Tilburg University, 26-30 July 2010.
- Member, Consortium Board, OAPEN - Open Access Publishing in European Networks, 2008-2010.
- Chair, External Stakeholders Group, OAPEN - Open Access Publishing in European Networks, 2008-2010.
- Member, Policy Group Innovation Knowledge Infrastructure, SURFfoundation, 2007-2014.
- Member, Digital Advisory Board, Amsterdam University Press, 2007-2011.
- Member, Steering Committee Dutch Prints Online, 2006-2011.
- Member, SABIDO, the Flemish-Netherlands Consortium of Library and Documentation Services, a platform of the Dutch Language Union, 2006-2010.
- Member, Institutional Board, Scaliger Institute, 2005-2010.
- Member, Library Advisory Council, Oxford University Press, 2004-2010.
- Chair, Users Council Joint Subject Analysis (GOO), 2005-2009.
- Chair, Steering Committee Joint Subject Analysis (GOO), 2007-2009; Member, 2005-2007.
- Member, Advisory Board, Medieval Manuscripts in Dutch Collections, 2005-2007.
- University Representative, DARE/SURF, 2005-2007 (Leiden); 2003-2005 (UvA)
- Member, Programme Committee, EUNIS Conference 2003.
- Member, Advisory Board, Hogeschool van Amsterdam, Institute for Media and Information Management, 2002-2005.
- Chair, Steering Committee Digitization, Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW), 2001-2002.
- Member, Advisory Board, Amsterdam Centre for the Study of the Golden Age, 2000-2005.
- Vice-Chair, Internet Publications Committee, ACRL/WESS, 1994-1996.
- Chair, Research and Planning Committee, ACRL/WESS, 1993-1995.
- Member, Standing Committee on Resources Development, New York Metropolitan Reference and Research Library Agency, 1992-1994.
- Chair, American Library Association Chapter, University of California, Berkeley, 1990.
- Elected to the International Library Science Honor Society (1991).
- Nonresident-Graduate-University of California Tuition Scholarships (1987-1990).
- Queen Beatrix Scholar, 1987-1988.
- Fellow of the Belgian American Educational Foundation (BAEF), 1986-1987.